…Adumbrations of a Sociology of Morality in the Work of Parsons, Simmel, and Merton
Donald N. Levine
5. The (Im)morality of War
Edward A. Tiryakian
6. Social Order as Moral Order
Anne Warfield Rawls
7. Natural Selection and the Evolution of Morality…
…Political Sociology in an Age of Complexity
3. Complex Powers: Beyond the Panopticon?
4. The End of the Nation State? The Disarticulation of Power and Identity
5. Glocalized Identities: Political …
This fully revised and updated introduction to political sociology incorporates the burgeoning literature on globalization and shows how contemporary politics is linked to cultural issues, social structure and democratizing social action.
New material on global governance, human rights,…
…This has created new possibilities for the development of a cosmopolitan culture but, at the same time, it has created new risks and anxieties linked to immigration and the accommodation of strangers.
This book examines how the images of the terrorist…
…Religion and British Sociology: The Power and Necessity of the Spiritual
Stephen P. Turner
7. Sociology and Social Work: In Praise of Limestone?
8. The First Sociology ‘Departments’
Christopher T. Husbands
9. British Sociology…
Table of contents
1. The Frankfurt School: Introduction and Historical Background
2. What Happened to the Frankfurt School?
3. Theories of the Frankfurt School, Veblen, and Baudrillard: A…
Table of contents
1. Book Towns: Expanding Literary Connections
2. Hay-on-Wye: ‘A Town of Travellers Who Stopped’
3. Slow Books: Book Towns as Third Places
4. Edge-of-the-Map Locations: Outposts…
…Slow Culture: An Introduction
2. The Time of Consumption
3. From Fast Fashion to Connected Consumption: Slowing Down the Spending Treadmill
Juliet B. Schor
4. You Eat What You Are: Cultivated Taste and the Pursuit…
An illuminating account of how history shapes our diets—now in a new revised and updated Third Edition
Why did the ancient Romans believe cinnamon grew in swamps guarded by giant killer bats? How did African cultures imported by slavery influence cooking in the American South? What…
…The Hermeneutic Concept of Culture as Meaning Making
Part II. Against Culture: Contestations
Part III. Rethinking Culture: Considerations