This book provides the reader with knowledge on a wide variety of radiation fields and their effects on the electronic devices and systems. The author covers faults and failures in ULSI devices induced by a wide variety of radiation fields, including electrons, alpha-rays, muons, gamma rays, neutrons and heavy ions. Readers will learn how to make numerical models from physical insights, to determine the kind of mathematical approaches that should be implemented to analyze radiation effects. A wide variety of prediction, detection, characterization and mitigation techniques against soft-errors are reviewed and discussed. The author shows how to model sophisticated radiation effects in condensed matter in order to quantify and control them, and explains how electronic systems including servers and routers are shut down due to environmental radiation.
- Provides an understanding of how electronic systems are shut down due to environmental radiation by constructing physical models and numerical algorithms
- Covers both terrestrial and avionic-level conditions
- Logically presented with each chapter explaining the background physics to the topic followed by various modelling techniques, and chapter summary
- Written by a widely-recognized authority in soft-errors in electronic devices
- Code samples available for download from the Companion Website
This book is targeted at researchers and graduate students in nuclear and space radiation, semiconductor physics and electron devices, as well as other areas of applied physics modelling. Researchers and students interested in how a variety of physical phenomena can be modelled and numerically treated will also find this book to present helpful methods.
Nyckelord: Environmental Radiation Effects in ULSI Devices and Electronic Systems; Eishi H. Ibe; Principle of Radiation Effects; Environmental Radiation Fields; Cosmic Rays from Galaxy Core and Sun/Radioisotopes in the Field; Soft Errors in Semiconductor Memory Devices; Radiation Induced Failures in Electronic Components and Systems; Summary of Radiation Effects in Electronic Devices and Systems, Numerical Methods & Algorithms, Semiconductor Physics, Numerical Methods & Algorithms, Semiconductor Physics