An indispensable tool for teachers and students of American literature, Reading the American Novel 1865-1914
provides a comprehensive introduction to the American novel in the post-civil war period.
- Locates American novels and stories within a specific historical and literary context
- Offers fresh analyses of key selected literary works
- Addresses a wide audience of academics and non-academics in clear, accessible prose
- Demonstrates the changing mentality of 19th-century America entering the 20th century
- Explores the relationship between the intellectual and artistic output of the time and the turbulent socio-political context
Nyckelord: American Literature, U.S. Literature, realism, nineteenth-century fiction, Mark Twain, Henry James, Theodore Dresier, Louisa May Alcott, Edith Wharton