Demonstrates the power of the theoretical framework of analytical sociology in
explaining a large array of social phenomena
Analytical Sociology: Actions and Networks presents the most advanced theoretical discussion of analytical sociology, along with a unique set of examples on mechanism-
based sociology. Leading scholars apply the theoretical principles of analytical sociology
to understand how puzzling social and historical phenomena including crime, lynching,
witch-hunts, tax behaviours, Web-based social movement and communication,
restaurant reputation, job search and careers, social network homophily and instability, cooperation and trust are brought about by complex, multi-layered social mechanisms. The analyses presented in this book rely on a wide range of methods which include qualitative observations, advanced statistical techniques, complex network tools, refined simulation methods and creative experimental protocols.
This book ultimately demonstrates that sociology, like any other science, is at its best
when it dissects the mechanisms at work by means of rigorous model building and testing.
• Provides the most complete and up-to-date theoretical treatment of analytical sociology.
• Looks at a wide range of complex social phenomena within a single and unitary theoretical framework.
• Explores a variety of advanced methods to build and test theoretical models.
• Examines how both computational modelling and experiments can be used
to study the complex relation between norms, networks and social actions.
• Brings together research from leading global experts in the field in order to
present a unique set of examples on mechanism-based sociology.
Advanced graduate students and researchers working in sociology, methodology of social sciences, statistics, social networks analysis and computer simulation will benefit from this book.
Avainsanat: Statistics for Social Sciences, residential segregation patterns, analytical sociology approach, sociology computational models, sociology lab experiments, explaining social phenomena, sociology formal model, sociology computer simulation, scientific sociology, rigorous sociology approach, data based sociology
- Manzo, Gianluca
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Wiley Series in Computational and Quantitative Social Science
- 448 sivua
- eISBN (ePUB)
- Painetun ISBN