This book considers the various difficulties encountered, with reference to current thinking about the origins, maintenance and treatment of personality disorder. Written by practitioners for practitioners, it provides a framework for developing effective care plans with minimal use of technical terms and jargon. Rather than promote an approach based on a single theoretical model, consideration is given to ways in which different approaches can be effectively combined within a multi-disciplinary team. The book is divided into two sections. The first outlines recent government initiatives relating to personality disorder and introduces key theories underlying psychological and biological treatments. The second focuses specifically on the role of the CMHT in relation to patients with these difficulties, including:
- the assessment of personality functioning
- developing coherent plans for treatment and support
- optimising the therapeutic relationship
- managing self-harming behaviour
- particular challenges faced by CMHTs, and how to overcome them
- the views of service users
- involving family, friends and carers.
Personality Disorder and Community Mental Health Teams deals with the reality of services today. It is essential reading for all mental health practitioners in CMHTs working with people with personality disorder.
Avainsanat: PSYCHOLOGY / Clinical Psychology PSY007000