Are you addicted to reality TV? Do you watch all the shows from Britain’s Got Talent to The Apprentice? Can you name every contestant ever to walk through the doors of the Big Brother house? Then The Reality Television…
International in scope and more comprehensive than existing collections, A Companion to Reality Television presents a complete guide to the study of reality, factual and nonfiction television…
Reality TV has changed television and changed reality, even if we are not among the millions who watch. Written for a broad audience, this accessible overview addresses questions such as: How real is reality TV?…
Hollywood special effects offer spectacular creations or re-creations that make claims to our attention on the grounds of their ‘incredible-seeming reality’. They can appear both ‘incredible’ and ‘real’, their appeal based on their ability to ‘convince’—to appear real in…
Focusing purely on Queen Elizabeth II's relationship with television, this book shows how she was ahead of the game in helping to change the face of British television from the outset of her reign in 1953 when she let the cameras into Westminster Abbey.…
…The Reality of Discourse and Discourse Analysis: Theory, Approaches, Practices
2. Reality television: a discourse-analytical perspective
Pilar Garcés-Conejos Blitvich, Nuria Lorenzo-Dus
3. Discourse approaches to the study of reality television
…Refractions of Reality, or, What is Thinking Anyway?
10. Conclusion: Code Unknown — A Bastard Theory for a Bastard Art
…Structured Reality: Designer Clothes, Fake Tans, Real Drama?
7. Conclusion: A Short-Form Future?
Table of contents
2. Commercial Participation: Post-advertising
3. Public Relations
4. Nation Building
5. Caring Capitalism
6. Retail TV
Table of contents
1. Introduction: Class Di_visions and the Cultural Politics of Serial TV
Sieglinde Lemke, Wibke Schniedermann
2. Framing Class, Vicarious Living, and Conspicuous Consumption
3. “Hillbillies,” “Welfare Queens,” and “Teen Moms”: American Media’s Class Distinctions