Korea is one of the critical flashpoints in the world today. News of North Korea's recent nuclear tests, conducted in defiance of international pressure, drew widespread condemnation and raised serious concerns about the threat now posed to regional and international security by the regime…
In Frommer's South Korea, you'll find out how to:
Steer away from the touristy and the inauthentic and see the real heart of South Korea.
Eat a Hanjeongsik (full-course meal) in a neighborhood cafe in Seoul, attend the Busar Film…
Lonely Planet: The world’s number one travel guide publisher*
Lonely Planet’s Korea is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Explore the graceful Changdeokgung palace and horticultural idyll…
Table of contents
1. Introduction: Why the Need to Reevaluate North Korea?
2. Friends and Foes: An Orthodox Story
3. Nothing but Words? Rhetoric and Beyond
4. Securing Freedom
5. Navigating Interdependence
…and Soviet Occupation Policies in Korea and the Korean Responses, 1945–1948
4. The Koreans, the USSR, and the United States
…The “Ignorant” Other: Popular Stereotypes of North Koreans in South Korea and East Germans in Unified Germany
Aaron D. Horton
10. Illusions of Unity: Life Narratives in Eastern German and North Korean Unification Literature
Birgit Susanne Geipel
…Oda Makoto and Literary Reconciliation: The Rise of Civil Societies in Japan and Korea in the Wake of the Asia-Pacific War
9. “Comfort Women Bashing” and Japan’s Social Formation of Hegemonic Masculinity
…Taustalla kuohuu vallankumousta elävä Etelä-Korea. Kyynelkaasun lisäksi ilmassa väreilee rakkaus ja tragedia.
…Democratic Quality and the Rule of Law in South Korea: The Role of Public Prosecution
Hannes B. Mosler
Part II. Participation, Freedom, Equality, and Responsiveness
5. The Progress of Human Rights and the Quality of Democracy in South Korea
…Introduction: Korea as a Newly Advanced Economy and the Role of Technology and Innovation
Jörg Mahlich, Werner Pascha
Part I.General Surveys
2. The Korean Innovation System: From Industrial Catch-Up to Technological Leadership?