1. Word Choice
2. Syntax and the Poetic Line
3. Images: Simile and Metaphor
4. Metaphor and the Sonnet
5. The Sonnet
6. Poetic Conventions
7. More Verse Forms
9. Poetic Voice
10. Gender and Poetic Voice
…Emerson, Pragmatism, and the "New American Poetry"
3. "My Force Is in Mobility"
Selfhood and Friendship in Frank O'Hara's Poetry
4. Growing Up with Our Brothers All Around
John Ashbery and the Interpersonal
5. Amiri Baraka…
Willard Spiegelman is considered one of the finest critics of poetry writing today and this volume collects his best work on the subject, offering essays that span his entire career and chart his changing relationship to an elusive form. He takes the measure of a wide spectrum of poetry,…
1. Why This Guide?
2. The Basics of the French Line
3. Common French Meters
5. Sonnets, rondels, and other fixed forms
7. Free verse
Appendix 1. Commentaries on four poems
Adieux de l'hotesse arabe