…The British Approach to Counterinsurgency: ‘Hearts and Minds’ from Malaya to Afghanistan?
1. The British Approach to Counterinsurgency: ‘Hearts and Minds’ from Malaya to Afghanistan?
Part I. Analysing…
…The Forms of the British Official/Sponsored Documentary Film
2. Diverging Jurisdictions: The Influence of ‘Griersonian’ and ‘Civil Service’ Traditions of Official Film-making on the Malayan Film Unit (1946–57) and Hong Kong Film Unit (1959–73)
From World City to the World in One City examines changing geographies of Liverpool through and across the lives of Malay seamen who arrived in the city during its final years as a major imperial port.
Draws upon life histories and memories…
Table of contents
2. From Memoir to History
3. Churchill’s British Empire
4. Churchill’s Imperial War with Japan
5. Churchill’s Imperial Losses: Hong Kong, Malaya, Singapore
6. Churchill’s India, 1942 to…
…Seeing like a Policeman: Everyday Violence in British India, c. 1900–1950
Part III. Dynamics of Colonial Warfare
8. The Dynamics of British Colonial Violence
9. Disciplining Native…