1. Introduction: Why Language Matters in Soft Power
Part I. Cool Japan and Japan’s Soft Power
2. Cool Japan
3. Cool Japan and Japanese Language: Why Does Japan Need “Japan Fans”?
Part II. Japanese Language and the Historical Construction of Asia
4. Japanese Language Education in the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere and the
5. Media and Cultural Policy and Japanese Language Education in Japanese-Occupied Singapore, 1942–1945
Part III. Japanese Language Teaching in Asia
6. Japanese Language for Trainee Nurses from Asia: The EPA Scheme as a Missed Opportunity
7. The Roles of Native Japanese Speaker Teachers in Japanese Language Programmes at High Schools in South Korea, Indonesia and Thailand
8. Japanese Pop Culture as a Motivating Factor for Japanese Language Learners in Qatar
Part IV. Japanese Language and Learners’ Empowerment
9. Japanese Language in the Wake of Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement: Is It a Form of Soft Power?
Kazuyuki Nomura, Takako Mochizuki
10. Accessing the Soft Power of Japanese Language in Australia: Young Korean Migrants Studying Japanese as a Foreign Language