1. Introduction – Liberal Democracy and Religious Pluralism: Accommodating or Resisting the Diversity of a Globalising Age?
2. Religions and Liberal Democracy: Reflections on Doctrinal, Institutional and Attitudinal Learning
3. How Not to Tolerate Religion
4. On the Muslim Question
5. Dealing Morally with Religious Differences
6. Diversity and Equality: ‘Toleration as Recognition’ Reconsidered
7. Modus Vivendi and Religious Conflict
8. Negotiating the ‘Sacred’ Cow: Cow Slaughter and the Regulation of Difference in India