1. Challenge or Crisis of Democracy
Part I. Participation
2. Crisis of Democracy? Views of Experts and Citizens
Werner Krause, Wolfgang Merkel
3. Political Inequality in Voting
4. Are Programmatic Alternatives Disappearing? The Quality of Election Manifestos in 21 OECD Countries Since the 1950s
Andrea Volkens, Nicolas Merz
5. Are Right-Wing Populist Parties a Threat to Democracy?
Part II. Representation
6. Inequality in Political Representation: Is the Lower Social Stratum Worse Represented?
Pola Lehmann, Sven Regel, Sara Schlote
7. Decline or Change? Party Types and the Crisis of Representative Democracy
Heiko Giebler, Onawa Promise Lacewell, Sven Regel, Annika Werner
8. Parties, Do You See the Signs? Popular Opinions on Inequality and Responsiveness of Political Parties
9. Democracy Without Choice: Citizens’ Perceptions of Government’s Autonomy During the Eurozone Crisis
Rubén Ruiz-Rufino, Sonia Alonso
Part III. Governance
10. Globalization and Democracy: Does Denationalization Affect the Quality of Democracy?
11. Is Capitalism Compatible with Democracy?
12. Democratic Danger for Democracy? The Precarious Balance Between Security and Freedom
Aiko Wagner, Sascha Kneip
13. Why Do Established Democracies Violate Human Rights?
14. Constitutional Courts in Democracy: Inducing or Preventing Crisis?
15. Conclusion: Is the Crisis of Democracy an Invention?