Chapter 1. Setting The Scene
2. Micro-organisms and extraterrestrial travel
Alfred W. Crosby
3. Future encounters: learning from the past?
4. Are we alone? Searching for life in the universe and its creation
5. What’s the story, mother? Some thoughts on Science Fiction Film and Space Travel
6. Aiming ahead: next generation visions for the next 50 years in space
Chapter 2. Can We Compare?
9. Celestial bodies: Lucy in the sky
10. Why we had better drop analogies when discussing the role of humans in space
Chapter 3. ’Spatiality’ — Space As A Source of Inspiration
12. Missing the impossible: how we talk and write about space
13. Towards a new inspiring era of collaborative space exploration
Chapter 4. First Odyssey: Humans in Earth Orbit: what Effect does It Have?
15. With the eyes of an astronaut
16. Human spaceflight, technology development and innovation
17. Human—machine cooperation in space environments
Gabriella Cortellessa, Amedeo Cesta, Angelo Oddi
18. Space law in the age of the International Space Station
Frans G. Dunk
Chapter 5. Second Odyssey: Humans in Space Exploration: What Effects Will It Have?
20. Humans — more than the better robots for exploration?
21. Humans leaving the Earth — a philosopher’s view
22. Human spaceflight as a matter of culture and national vision
23. The need of a legal framework for space exploration
Ulrike M. Bohlmann
Chapter 6. Third Odyssey: Humans Migrating the Earth: How Will It Affect Human Thought?
25. Mars as a place to live? Past, present and future
26. Philosophical and religious implications of extraterrestrial intelligent life
27. ET culture
Chapter 7. The Vienna Vision on Humans in Outer Space
28. Humans in Outer Space