Featuring revised and extended coverage, the second edition of A History of Modern Germany offers an accessible and engagingly written account of German history from 1800 to the present.
- Provides readers with a long view of modern German history, revealing its continuities and changes
- Features updated and extended coverage of German social change and modernization, class, religion, and gender
- Includes more in depth coverage of the German Democratic Republic
- Examines Germany's social, political, and economic history
- Covers the unification of Germany, the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, the Third Reich, post-war division, the collapse of Communism, and developments since re-unification
- Addresses regional history rather than focusing on the dominant role of Prussia