This revised and expanded edition provides a comprehensive overview of comparative Indo-European linguistics and the branches of the Indo-European language family, covering both linguistic and cultural material. Now offering even greater coverage than the first edition, it is the definitive introduction to the field.
- Updated, corrected, and expanded edition, containing new illustrations of selected texts and inscriptions, and text samples with translations and etymological commentary
- Extensively covers individual histories of both ancient and modern languages of the Indo-European family
- Provides an overview of Proto-Indo-European culture, society, and language
- Designed for use in courses, with exercises and suggestions for further reading included in each chapter
- Includes maps, a glossary, a bibliography, and comprehensive word and subject indexes
Keywords: Historical Linguistics, Indo-European, historical linguistics, language and prehistory, proto-Indo-European, classics, Sanskrit, anthropology