Reflecting recent global developments, the second edition of this illuminating introduction to Islamic history expands its coverage of the Qur’an, Sufism, and Muslim views on human rights, including the rights of women.
- An expanded new edition of this concise, illuminating introduction to Islam, written by one of the field’s leading scholars
- Spans Islamic history from the life of Muhammad and the birth of Islamic ideals, through Islam’s phenomenal geographical expansion and cultural development, to the creation of modern states and its role in today’s global society
- Features expanded coverage of the Qur’an, Sufism, and Muslim views on human rights, including the rights of women
- Includes fascinating vignettes of Islamic life, representing mainstream Muslim viewpoints on issues of global concern
- Explores the complex interrelationships of cultural, political, and ideological developments woven throughout Islamic history, drawing on specific examples including current developments in Pakistan
Keywords: Islam, Islamic , history, Koran, Quran, Qu’, ran, Muslims, Islam and human rights, Islam and women, Muhammad