Through a fusion of philosophical, social scientific, and historical methods, A Brief History of Liberty
provides a comprehensive, philosophically-informed portrait of the elusive nature of one of our most cherished ideals.
- Offers a succinct yet thorough survey of personal freedom
- Explores the true meaning of liberty, drawing philosophical lessons about liberty from history
- Considers the writings of key historical figures from Socrates and Erasmus to Hobbes, Locke, Marx, and Adam Smith
- Combines philosophical rigor with social scientific analysis
- Argues that liberty refers to a range of related but specific ideas rather than limiting the concept to one definition
Keywords: Political & Economic Philosophy, Freedom, civil liberty, free will, control, Socrates, Erasmus, Hobbes, Locke, Marx, Rousseau, Adam Smith