Written in a lively style, Discovering Speech, Words, and Mind
applies a scientific approach to the study of various aspects of speech, using everyday examples to introduce the beginning student to the world of language and cognition.
- An accessible introduction to the fundamentals of speech production, speech perception, word-formation, language acquisition and speech disorders
- Considers how the informational content of the speech signal relates to phonological units – connecting the three areas of speech, words, and mind
- Focuses on speech production and recognition at the word-level and below, and includes sign languages
- Written in a highly accessible style for students with no background in linguistics or psychology
- Packed with numerous student-friendly features, including engaging examples, illustrations, and sidebars for further discussion; further online exercises and data also available at www.discoveringspeech.wiley.com
Keywords: Speech Science, speech science, speech perception, psycholinguistics, cognitive science, language and speech development, phonetics