- Includes in excess of 5,100 terms, grouped into over 3,000 entries
- Coverage reflects recommendations by a team of experts in phonetics, phonology, syntax, semantics, sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics, making it exceptionally comprehensive
- Incorporates new ideas stemming from the minimalist program
- Contains a separate table of abbreviations and table of symbols, along with an updated International Phonetic Alphabet
- Updates entries to reflect the way established terms are now perceived in light of changes in the field, providing a unique insight into the historical development of linguistics
- Remains the standard single-volume reference for the field of linguistics and phonetics.
Keywords: General & Introductory Linguistics