- Responds to recent theoretical debates in economic geography, involving economists, geographers and planners.
- Builds the foundations for a new theoretical approach to regional economic development and the territorial division of labour.
- Draws on the results of a recent ESRC funded research project, as well as on a large range of official data sets.
- Provides an up-to-date picture of Italy‘s economic performance and of its recent development relative to other European countries and the rest of the world.
- Analyses Italy's internal differentiation and its persistent regional inequalities.
- Examines the regional impact of the recent evolution of the car, chemicals, steel and clothing industries.
- Leads to a new and more complex picture of Italian development.
Keywords: italies; literature; three; synthesis; geography; new; novel; convergence; economic; analysis; political; labour; division; territorial; economy approach; performance; uptodate; approaches; exemplified; theoretical; account; italys, Comparative Politics, Political Issues & Behavior, Comparative Politics, Political Issues & Behavior