Diversity in U.S. Mass Media provides comprehensive coverage of the evolution and issues surrounding portrayals of social groups within the mass media of the United States.
- Focuses on past and current mass media representations of social groups
- Provides an overview of key theories that have guided research in mass media representations and stereotyping
- Discusses the impact new media has on representation and how technology is giving a new voice to various social groups
- Includes a chapter on how mass media industries are addressing diversity, complete with specially-commissioned interviews with media professionals
- Offers helpful supplementary features such as a glossary, questions for reflection, suggestions for projects related to diversity in mass media, and online resources for both instructors and students
- Accompanying website provides a glossary, links to related sites, recommendations of films to watch in the classroom, ideas for research projects, and an instructor's manual with sample syllabi