This complete overview of religious studies provides students with the essential knowledge and tools they need to explore and understand the nature of religion.
- Covers the early development of religion, with overviews of major and minor religions from Islam to Scientology
- Considers recent developments including secularization; the relationship between religion and science; and scientific studies on religion, health, and mystical experience
- Uses humor throughout, allowing students to remain open-minded to the subject
- Explains what it means to study religion academically, and considers the impact of the study of religion on religion itself
- Contains numerous student-friendly features including photos, maps, time lines, side bars, historical profiles, and population distribution figures
- Provides classroom users with a lively website including questions, quizzes, extra material, and helpful primary and secondary sources
Keywords: General & Introductory Religion & Theology, world religion, theories and methods of religion, monotheism, secularisation