The major alterations addressed in the 7th Edition concern carcinomas of the oesophagus and the gastroesophageal junction, stomach, lung, appendix, biliary tract, skin, and prostate. In addition, there are several entirely new classifications:
- gastrointestinal carcinoids (neuroendocrine tumours)
- gastrointestinal stromal tumour
- upper aerodigestive mucosal melanoma
- Merkel cell carcinoma
- uterine sarcomas
- intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma
- adrenal cortical carcinoma.
A new approach has also been adopted to separate anatomical stage groupings from prognostic groupings in which other prognostic factors are added to T, N, and M categories. These new prognostic groupings, as well as the traditional anatomical groupings, are presented for oesophageal and prostate carcinomas.