This established textbook continues to provide a comprehensive and stimulating introduction to rivers, lakes and wetlands, and was written as the basis for a complete course on freshwater ecology. Designed for undergraduate and early postgraduate students who wish to gain an overall view of this vast subject area, this accessible guide to freshwater ecosystems and man's activities will also be invaluable to anyone interested in the integrated management of freshwaters. The author maintains the tradition of clarity and conciseness set by previous editions, and the text is extensively illustrated with photographs and diagrams. Examples are drawn from the author's experience in many parts of the world.
In this edition, the scientific content of the text has been fully revised and updated. Emphasis has been placed on human impacts, and a completely new chapter has been added on the future of freshwaters.
- Balanced and stimulating introduction to limnology.
- Successfully combines fundamental and applied aspects of integrated management of freshwaters, with strong emphasis on human links.
- Completely revised and rewritten with a threefold increase in the number of illustrations.
- New chapter on the future of freshwaters.
- Of interest to undergraduates, beginning postgraduates and any limnologically interested reader.