- This is the only invertebrate textbook to integrate systematics and functional approaches.
- The molecular systematics sections have been completely updated for the new edition.
- Strong evolutionary theme which reflects the importance of molecular techniques throughout.
- Distills the essential characteristics of each invertebrate group and lists diagnostic features to allow comparisons between phyla. New phyla have been added for the new edition.
- Stresses comparisons in physiology, reproduction and development.
- Improved layout and illustration quality.
- Second edition has sold 14000 copies.
Nature of the first edition:
'Students will like this book. It deserves to succeed.'