This book provides seven studies that address major issues such as the human rights and human security nexus, gender aspects of human security, ethical and environmental challenges, human security as a basic element for a policy framework, the human security agenda developed by the Human Security Network, and debates on human security within the United Nations.
- Building on its variety of themes, the book takes account of the complexity and scope of the concept of human security, and proposes thereby to refresh and enrich discussion
- Contributors are internationally renowned experts in the different subfields of human security
- Offers an overview of current trends and insights on what is at stake if the international community is to maintain the momentum created a few years ago when the concept of human security emerged
- Designed to help both newcomers and experts in the field of human security
- Readers will find inspiration in the new developments of a concept that aims to shape practical action to meet the needs of the most vulnerable