Part of the Blackwell Manifestos series, The State of the Novel
offers a lively, yet rigorous investigation into the state and future of the contemporary British novel written by an expert in the field.
- evaluates the state of the ‘serious literary’ novel and novel criticism
- prominent treatment is paid to the ‘internationalization’ of the novel in English
- offers a manifesto on contemporary fiction from an expert in this field; Dominic Head is best known for his Cambridge Introduction to Modern British Fiction 1950-2000: a key textbook used in contemporary fiction courses
- establishes the shared interests of contemporary theorists of the novel, cultural commentators, and novel consumers
- an ideal supplementary text for students and faculty interested in the novel and contemporary fiction