McGuckin, John Anthony
The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to the History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture
At once a comprehensive study of Eastern Orthodoxy - its historical development and theology - The Orthodox Church is also an engaging assessment of Orthodoxy’s political role in today’s secularized Western world. Scholarly, timely, and always thought provoking, The Orthodox Church provides Orthodoxy with the long-awaited voice to engage in a meaningful dialog with contemporary Western culture.
- A major new full length study of the Orthodox Church written by one of the leading Orthodox historians and theologians of the English-speaking world
- The most comprehensive and up-to-date account of the Orthodox Church available, providing a detailed account of its historical development, as well as exploring Orthodox theology and culture
- Offers an in-depth engagement with the issues surrounding Orthodoxy's relationship to the modern world, including political, cultural and ethical debates
- Considers the belief tradition, spirituality, liturgical diversity, and Biblical heritage of the Eastern Churches; their endurance of oppressions and totalitarianisms; and their contemporary need to rediscover their voice and confidence in a new world-order.
- McGuckin, John Anthony
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Publication year
- Page amount
- 480 pages
- eISBN (PDF)