1. Introduction: Explaining Instructional Explanations
2. What Kind of Explanation is a Model?
Richard Lehrer, Leona Schauble
3. Learning, Identity, and Instructional Explanations
Jorge Larreamendy-Joerns, Tatiana Muñoz
4. Learning Chemistry: What, When, and How?
David Yaron, Michael Karabinos, Karen Evans, Jodi Davenport, Jordi Cuadros, James Greeno
5. Negotiating the Goal of Museum Inquiry: How Families Engineer and Experiment
Kyung Youn Kim, Kevin Crowley
6. A Framing of Instructional Explanations: Let Us Explain
Carla Sande, James G. Greeno
7. How and Why Do Teachers Explain Things the Way They Do?
Alan H. Schoenfeld
8. The Explanatory Power of Examples in Mathematics: Challenges for Teaching
9. Using Designed Instructional Activities to Enable Novices to Manage Ambitious Mathematics Teaching
Magdalene Lampert, Heather Beasley, Hala Ghousseini, Elham Kazemi, Megan Franke
10. Learning History and Learning Language: Focusing on Language in Historical Explanations to Support English Language Learners
Mariana Achugar, Catherine Stainton
11. Instructional Explanations in a Legal Classroom: Are Students’ Argument Diagrams of Hypothetical Reasoning Diagnostic?
Kevin D. Ashley, Collin Lynch
12. Connecting with Art: How Families Talk About Art in a Museum Setting
Karen Knutson, Kevin Crowley
13. Developing Writing Skills Through Students Giving Instructional Explanations
Kwangsu Cho, Christian Schunn