Analyzing art house films from the African continent and the African diaspora, this book showcases a new generation of auteurs with African origins from political, aesthetic, and spectatorship perspectives.
- Focuses on art house cinema and discusses commercial African cinema
- Enlarges our understanding of African film to include thematic and aesthetic influence
- Highlights aesthetic and political aspects including racial identity, women’s issues, and diaspora
- Heavily illustrated with over 90 film stills
- Features selected stills integral to the filmic analysis in full color
- Moves beyond Western-oriented analytical paradigms
Keywords: African film, African cinema, African diaspora, postcolonial studies, African culture, African studies, African literature, African directors, Anglophone, Francophone, Lusophone, African theater, Sembene Ousmane, African gender studies, racial identity, Harrikrisna Anenden, African Femininity, African Masculinity, Documentary Film, Jean-Marie Teno, Contemporary Cinema, World Cinema, art house cinema, African / African-American Studies, Anthropology of Diaspora, Forced Migration & Refugeeism, African/African-American Studies, Anthropology of Diaspora, Forced Migration & Refugeeism