By integrating star studies and film industry studies, Hollywood Stardom
reveals the inextricable bonds between culture and commerce in contemporary notions of film stardom.
- Integrates the traditions of star studies and industry studies to establish an original and innovative mode of analysis whereby the ‘star image’ is replaced with the ‘star brand’
- Offers the first extensive analysis of stardom in the ‘post-studio’ era
- Combines genre, narrative, acting, and discourse analysis with aspects of marketing theory and the economic analysis of the film market
- Draws on an extensive body of research data not previously deployed in film scholarship
- A wide range of star examples are explored including George Clooney, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, and Julia Roberts
Keywords: Film Theory, Film star, celebrity, industry, actor, screen, icon, George Clooney, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts