A Companion to Food in the Ancient World presents a comprehensive overview of the cultural aspects relating to the production, preparation, and consumption of food and drink in antiquity.
• Provides an up-to-date overview of the study of food in the ancient world
• Addresses all aspects of food production, distribution, preparation, and consumption during antiquity
• Features original scholarship from some of the most influential North American and European specialists in Classical history, ancient history, and archaeology
• Covers a wide geographical range from Britain to ancient Asia, including Egypt and Mesopotamia, Asia Minor, regions surrounding the Black Sea, and China
• Considers the relationships of food in relation to ancient diet, nutrition, philosophy, gender, class, religion, and more
Keywords: History of food; food culture; food in antiquity; food; wine; cooking; antiquity; feasting; commensality; ancient Greece; ancient Rome; Near East and Arabia; anthropology; archaeology, Ancient Culture, Ancient & Classical History, Classical Studies Special Topics, Ancient Culture, Ancient & Classical History, Classical Studies Special Topics