A Companion to Food in the Ancient World presents a comprehensive overview of the cultural aspects relating to the production, preparation, and consumption of food and drink in antiquity.
• Provides an up-to-date overview of the study of food in the ancient world
• Addresses all aspects of food production, distribution, preparation, and consumption during antiquity
• Features original scholarship from some of the most influential North American and European specialists in Classical history, ancient history, and archaeology
• Covers a wide geographical range from Britain to ancient Asia, including Egypt and Mesopotamia, Asia Minor, regions surrounding the Black Sea, and China
• Considers the relationships of food in relation to ancient diet, nutrition, philosophy, gender, class, religion, and more
History of food, food culture, food in antiquity, food, wine, cooking, antiquity, feasting, commensality, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, Near East and Arabia, anthropology, archaeology, Ancient Culture