- Each chapter is written by a leading theologian and gives a clear picture of a particular movement, topic or individual.
- New and updated treatments of topics covered in earlier editions, with over half the chapters new to this edition or revised by new authors.
- New section singling out six classic theologians of the twentieth century.
- Expanded treatment of the natural sciences, gender, Roman Catholic theology since Vatican II, and African, Asian and Evangelical theologies.
- Completely new chapters on spirituality, pastoral theology, philosophical theology, postcolonial biblical interpretation, Pentecostal theology, Islam and Christian theology, Buddhism and Christian theology, and theology and film.
- As in previous editions, the text opens with a full introduction to modern theology.
- Epilogue discussing the present situation and prospects of Christian theology in the twenty-first century.
Keywords: main; centuries; modern; accessible; twentieth; theologians; overview; christian theologies; movement; particular; picture; theologian; clear; leading; development; modern theology; unparalleled; editions; edition; third; topics