1. Fragmentation: A Key Concept for Development Cooperation
Stephan Klingebiel, Timo Mahn, Mario Negre
Part I. Measurements of Fragmentation
2. Measuring Fragmentation: The Financial Significance of Aid Relations
Fredrik Ericsson, Suzanne Steensen
3. Measuring Cross-Country Proliferation: Towards a New Non-proliferation Treaty?
Lau Schulpen, Rik Habraken
4. A Composite Index of Aid Fragmentation
Daniela Buscaglia, Anjula Garg
Part II. Drivers and Actors of Fragmentation
5. Bilateral Donor Bureaucracies and Development Cooperation Pluralism
6. Fragmentation’s Losers: Who Are the Aid Orphans?
7. Fragmenting Aid or a Platform for Pluralism? The Case of ‘Vertical Funds’
8. EU Engagement in Fragile and Conflict-Affected Countries: Comprehensive Policy, Fragmented Operations
9. South-South Cooperation and Fragmentation: A Non-issue?
Gerardo Bracho, Sven Grimm
Part III. Impact and Consequences of Fragmentation
10. The Age of Choice: Developing Countries in the New Aid Landscape
Romilly Greenhill, Annalisa Prizzon, Andrew Rogerson
11. Aid Fragmentation and Donor Coordination in Uganda: A District-Level Analysis
Peter Nunnenkamp, Michaela Rank, Rainer Thiele
12. Aid Fragmentation and Effectiveness for Infant and Child Mortality and Primary School Completion
13. The Implications of Multi-bi Financing for Multilateral Agencies: The Example of the World Bank
14. Diversification in Practice: How Fragmented Aid Affects Renewable Energy Support in the Philippines
Part IV. How to Deal with Fragmentation
15. Managing Diversity: A Partner Country Perspective
16. One Recipe for Many Cooks? Multi-actor Coordination in Post-conflict Countries: Benefits and Risks
17. The United Nations in Development: Confronting Fragmentation?
18. How Serious Is the EU on Aid Fragmentation?
19. Assessing the Costs and Benefits of Reducing Fragmentation: Coordination in European Aid
Mario Negre, Stephan Klingebiel
20. Aid Fragmentation and Coherence: Is a More Integrated Approach the Answer to Canadian Aid Effectiveness?
Rachael Calleja, David Carment, Yiagadeesen Samy
21. Afterword—Fragmentation: A Challenge of Leadership