1. Introduction: The Arctic as a Globally Embedded Space
Kathrin Keil, Sebastian Knecht
2. Sustainable Development as a Global-Arctic Matter: Imaginaries and Controversies
Berit Kristoffersen, Oluf Langhelle
3. Reimagining Political Space: The Limits of Arctic Indigenous Self-Determination in International Governance?
Jessica M. Shadian
4. Globalising the Arctic Climate: Geoengineering and the Emerging Global Polity
Part 2. Institutional Politics: How to Organise a Global Arctic?
5. Coping with Institutional Challenges for Arctic Environmental Governance
6. Global Environmental Governance and Treaty-Making: The Arctic’s Fragmented Voice
7. Preparing for the Global Rush: The Arctic Council, Institutional Norms, and Socialisation of Observer Behaviour
Piotr Graczyk, Małgorzata Śmieszek, Timo Koivurova, Adam Stępień
8. Bazaar Governance: Situating the Arctic Circle
Duncan Depledge, Klaus Dodds
Part 3. Involvement: Who Participates in Global Arctic Governance?
9. Exploring Different Levels of Stakeholder Activity in International Institutions: Late Bloomers, Regular Visitors, and Overachievers in Arctic Council Working Groups
10. Non-State Actors in Arctic Council Governance
11. Non-Arctic States and Their Stake in Arctic Sustainability
Ken Coates, Carin Holroyd
Part 4. Issues: What Is the Global Arctic All About?
12. Clean Air and White Ice: Governing Black Carbon Emissions Affecting the Arctic
Carolina Cavazos-Guerra, Axel Lauer, Erika Rosenthal
13. Voyage Through the North: Domestic and International Challenges to Arctic Shipping
14. The Arctic in a Global Energy Picture: International Determinants of Arctic Oil and Gas Development
15. Conclusion: Governing the Arctic as a Globally Embedded Space
Sebastian Knecht, Kathrin Keil