Part I. Theory and Themes, Complexity and Challenges
1. Beyond the Usual Suspects: Complexity of Fragility and Analytical Framework
2. Development in Fragile States and Situations: Theory and Critique
Anthony Ware, Vicki-Ann Ware
3. Challenges of Development in Difficult Sociopolitical Contexts
Part II. Case Studies: Development in So-Called ‘Fragile States’, ‘Failed States’ and ‘Pariah States’
4. Surviving in a Difficult Context: The Quest for Development in Unrecognised States
5. Foreign Aid Delivery: Modes and Modalities in the Pacific
Simon Feeny, Jaclyn Donahue
6. Malawi: Waving or Drowning in the 21st Century?
7. Development in Kyrgyzstan: Failed State or Failed State-building?
8. Foreign Aid, Development and Civil War in Nepal
9. Dynamics of Fragility: Secret Victories and Political Awakenings in Sri Lanka’ s Civil War
10. Re-engaging in a Fragmented Context: Development Approaches and Aid Modalities in Afghanistan, 2001–2004
11. Zimbabwe: Issues and Perspectives on Fragility and Failure
12. Development in a Fragile Pariah State: Myanmar 1990–2010
13. North Korea: Failed State or Pariah, or Both. …?
Part III. Conclusion
14. Critiques and Alternatives: Development in Contexts of Fragility