Part I. Civil Servants and Politics: Setting the Scene
Christine Neuhold, Sophie Vanhoonacker
2. Politicisation: What Is It and Why Should We Care?
B. Guy Peters
3. Civil Servants and Politicians: Problems and Future Prospects
4. Civil Servants and Whistle-Blowing: Loyal Neutrality and/or Democratic Ideal?
Part II. Politicisation of Civil Servants between Neutrality and Political Activism? Country Studies
5. Civil Servants and Politicians: A Very British Relationship
6. Managerialism and Politicisation in the Dutch Civil Service
7. Civil Servants: How to Support the Political Level: The French Case
8. Civil Service Reform in Slovakia and Hungary: The Road to Professionalisation?
Katarína Staroňová, Gyorgy Gajduschek
9. Civil Servants and Politics in Germany
Part III. Supranational Bureaucracies and Consequences for Administrative Players
10. Commission Civil Servants and Politics: De-Politicised Bureaucrats in an Increasingly Political Organisation
Michael W. Bauer, Jörn Ege
11. The European Parliament’s Administration: Between Neutral and Politicised Competence
Iulian Romanyshyn, Christine Neuhold
Sophie Vanhoonacker, Christine Neuhold, Luc Verhey