1. Introduction: Gender and Welfare States in East Asia
Sirin Sung, Gillian Pascall
2. Work-Family Balance Issues and Policies in Korea: Towards an Egalitarian Regime?
3. Rhetoric or Reality? Peripheral Status of Women’s Bureaux in the Korean Gender Regime
4. Continuity and Change: Comparing Work and Care Reconciliation of Two Generations of Women in Taiwan
Jessie Shu-Yun Wu
5. Gender, Social Policy and Older Women with Disabilities in Rural China
Xiaoyuan Shang, Karen R. Fisher, Ping Guo
6. Confucian Welfare: A Barrier to the Gender Mainstreaming of Domestic Violence Policy in Hong Kong
Lai Ching Leung
7. Emerging Culture Wars: Backlash against ‘Gender Freedom’ (
8. Prime Ministers’ Discourse in Japan’s Reforms since the 1980s: Traditionalization of Modernity rather than Confucianism
Emiko Ochiai, Ken’ichi Johshita
9. Conclusion: Confucianism or Gender Equality?
Gillian Pascall, Sirin Sung