Bridges the gaps between regulatory, engineering, and science disciplines in order to comprehensively cover pollutant fate and transport in environmental multimedia
This book presents and integrates all aspects of fate and transport: chemistry, modeling, various forms of assessment, and the environmental legal framework. It approaches each of these topics initially from a conceptual perspective before explaining the concepts in terms of the math necessary to model the problem so that students of all levels can learn and eventually contribute to the advancement of water quality science.
The first third ofPollutant Fate and Transport in Environmental Multimediais dedicated to the relevant aspects of chemistry behind the fate and transport processes. It provides relatively simple examples and problems to teach these principles. The second third of the book is based on the conceptual derivation and the use of common models to evaluate the importance of model parameters and sensitivity analysis; complex equation derivations are given in appendices. Computer exercises and available simulators teach and enforce the concepts and logic behind fate and transport modeling. The last third of the book is focused on various aspects of assessment (toxicology, risk, benefit-cost, and life cycle) and environmental legislation in the US, Europe, and China. The book closes with a set of laboratory exercises that illustrate chemical and fate and transport concepts covered in the text, with example results for most experiments.
- Features more introductory material on past environmental disasters and the continued need to study environmental chemistry and engineering
- Covers chemical toxicology with various forms of assessment, United States, European, and Chinese regulations, and advanced fate and transport modeling and regulatory implications
- Provides a conceptual and relatively simple mathematical approach to fate and transport modeling, yet complex derivations of most equations are given in appendices
- Integrates the use of numerous software packages (pC-pH, EnviroLab Simulators, Water, Wastewater, and Global Issues), and Fate©2016
- Contains numerous easy-to-understand examples and problems along with answers for most end-of-the-chapter problems, and simulators for answers to fate and transport questions
- Includes numerous companion laboratory experiments with EnviroLab
Requiring just a basic knowledge of algebra and first-year college chemistry to start,Pollutant Fate and Transport in Environmental Multimediais an excellent textbook for upper-level undergraduate and graduate faculty and students studying environmental engineering and science.
Keywords: fate and transport; environmental engineering; hydrology; hydrological processes; environmental chemistry; chemistry; water; water science; environmental chemistry; environmental multimedia; pollutants; Fate-2016; water treatment; pollution; pollutant; water pollution
fate and transport; environmental engineering; hydrology; hydrological processes; environmental chemistry; chemistry; water; water science; environmental chemistry; environmental multimedia; pollutants; Fate-2016; water treatment; pollution; pollutant; water pollution, Hydrology (Civil Engineering), Environmental Science, Hydrology (Civil Engineering), Environmental Science