A comprehensive yet accessible introduction to theconceptualtoolsused to explore real-world environmental problems
Environment and Society: A Critical Introduction, Third Editiondemonstrates how theoretical approachessuch as environmental ethics, political economy,andsocial constructionwork asconceptualtools toidentify andclarifycontemporary environmentalissues.Assuming no background knowledge in the subject, thisreader-friendlytextbook uses clear language and engaging examplestofirstdescribenine keyconceptual tools, and thenapplythem to a variety of familiar objects—frombottled water and Frenchfriestotrees,wolves,and carbon dioxide.Throughout the text,highly accessiblechapters provide insight intothe relationship between the environment and present-day society.
Divided intotwo parts, thetextbegins by explainingmajortheoreticalapproachesforinterpreting the environment-society relationshipanddiscussingdifferent perspectives about environmental problems. Part II examines a series of objects, each viewed througha sample ofthetheoreticaltoolsfrom Part I, helping readers think critically aboutcritical environmentaltopics such as deforestation,climate change, the global water supply,andhazardouse-waste.Thisfully revised third edition stresses a wider range of competing ways of thinking about environmental issuesand features additionalcases studies, up-to-dateconceptual understandings, andnew chapters in PartIonracializdenvironmentsand feminist approaches.Environment and Society: A Critical Introduction, Third Edition:
- Coverstheoretical lensessuch ascommodities, environmental ethics,andrisks and hazards,and applies them totouchstone environment-societyobjects likewolves, tuna,trees, and carbon dioxide
- Usesaconversational narrative to explainkey historicalevents,topical issues and policies,andscientific concepts
- Featuressubstantial revisions and updates, including new chapters on feminismand race,andimproved maps and illustrations
- Includes a wealth of in-book and online resources, including exercisesandboxed discussions,chapter summaries, review questions, references, suggested readings,an online test bank, and internet links
- Providesadditionalinstructorsupport such assuggested teaching models,full-colorPowerPoint slides, and supplementary teaching material
Retaining theinnovative approachof its predecessors,Environment and Society: A Critical Introduction, Third Editionremains the ideal textbook for courses inenvironmental issues, environmental science,andnatureandsociety theory.
Keywords: environment and society textbook
environment and society textbook, environment and society introduction, environment and society theory, environment and society concepts, critical environmental studies, environmental problem critical approaches, environmental theory textbook