A multidisciplinary update on continental plate tectonics and plate boundary discontinuities
Understanding the origin and evolution of the continental crust continues to challenge Earth scientists. Lithospheric Discontinuities offers a multidisciplinary review of fine scale layering within the continental lithosphere to aid the interpretation of geologic layers. Once Earth scientists can accurately decipher the history, internal dynamics, and evolution of the continental lithosphere, we will have a clearer understanding of how the crust formed, how plate tectonics began, and how our continents became habitable.
- Theories and observations of the current state of tectonic boundaries anddiscontinuities
- Contributions on field observations, laboratory experiments, and geodynamic predictions from leading experts in the field
- Mantle fabrics in response to various mantle deformation processes
- Insights on fluid distribution using geophysical observations, and thermal and viscosity constraints from dynamic modeling
- Discontinuities associated with lithosphere and lithosphere-asthenosphere boundary
- An integrated study of the evolving physical and chemical processes associated with lithosphere asthenosphere interaction
Written for academic and researchgeoscientists, particularly in the field of tectonophysics, geophysicists, geodynamics, seismology, structural geology, environmental geology, and geoengineering, Lithospheric Discontinuities is a valuable resource that sheds light on the origin and evolution of plate interaction processes.
Keywords: Guide to Lithospheric Discontinuities, understanding lithospheric discontinuities; text on lithospheric discontinuities; resource to lithospheric discontinuities; mantle seismic discontinuities; oceanic lithosphere; electromagnetics and oceanic lithosphere; lithospheric and asthenospheric structure; anisotropic tomography; seismic imaging of ocean plates; continental lithosphere; magnetotellurics; lithosphere-asthenosphere boundary; multi-mode surface wave tomography; cratonic mantel keels; thermal diffusion timescales; mantle-velocity structure; perspectives of the S-receiver function, Structural Geology & Tectonics, Geochemistry & Mineralogy, Structural Geology & Tectonics, Geochemistry & Mineralogy