New edition of an authoritative guide to human sexual behavior from a biopsychosocial perspective
The thoroughly revised and updated second edition of The Psychology of Human Sexuality explores the roles that biology, psychology, and the social and cultural context play in shaping human sexual behavior. The author – a noted authority on the topic and an affiliate of the acclaimed Kinsey Institute - puts the spotlight on the most recent research and theory on human sexuality, with an emphasis on psychology.
The text presents the major theoretical perspectives on human sexuality, and details the vast diversity of sexual attitudes and behaviors that exist in the modern world. The author also reviews the history of sexology and explores its unique methods and ethical considerations. Overall, this important and comprehensive text provides readers with a better understanding of, and appreciation for, the science of sex and the amazing complexity of human sexuality.
- Features broad coverage of topics including anatomy, gender and sexual orientation, sexual behaviors, sexual difficulties and solutions, prostitution, and pornography
- Offers more in-depth treatment of relationships than comparable texts, with separate chapters dealing with attraction and relationship processes
- Includes cutting-edge research on the origins of sexual orientation and gender identity, as well as new treatments for sexually transmitted infections and sexual dysfunctions
- Is written from a sex-positive perspective, with expanded coverage of cross-cultural research throughout and material that is inclusive and respectful of a diverse audience
- Includes numerous activities to facilitate dynamic, interactive classroom environments
Written for students of human sexuality and anyone interested in the topic, The Psychology of Human Sexuality offers a guide to the psychology of human sexual behavior that is at once inclusive, thorough, and authoritative in its approach.
Keywords: guide to human sexuality; drives to have sex; perspectives on human sexuality; research on sex; history of sexology; ethics of sexology research; human sexual anatomy; male sexual anatomy; female sexual anatomy; sexual arousal; sexual orgasm; gender identity; gender identity and sexuality; transsexualism; cross-dressing; sexual orientation; sex differences in sexual orientation; sexual orientation attitudes; sexual laws of attraction; sexual attraction gay men and lesbians; sexuality among singles; hookups; the nature of love and sexual attraction; sexual behaviors; solitary sexual behaviors; asexuality; celibacy; sexual fantasy; masturbation; oral sex; vaginal intercourse; anal sex; same sex behaviors, Relationships, Marriage & Family, Emotion, Relationships, Marriage & Family, Emotion