- The first edition was widely praised for combining sophistication and accessibility.
- Covers a wide range of subjects, including geology, climate, agriculture, government and politics, culture, literature, media, foreign relations, imperialism, and industrialism.
- Updated to include an epilogue on Japan today and tomorrow.
- Now includes more on women in history and more on international relations.
- Bibliographical listings have been updated and enlarged.
Keywords: book; accessible; japan; history; present; totman; major; countrys; four; terms; age; foragers; conrad; ages; realms; political; humanenvironment relations; familiar; interplay; patterns; changing; nineteenth; fullest; centuries; considerable, General & Introductory Archaeology, General & Introductory Archaeology