Examines current and prospective challenges surrounding global challenges of education, energy, healthcare, security, and resilience
This book discusses issues in large-scale systems in the United States and around the world. The authors examine the challenges of education, energy, healthcare, national security, and urban resilience. The book covers challenges in education including America's use of educational funds, standardized testing, and the use of classroom technology. On the topic of energy, this book examines debates on climate, the current and future developments of the nuclear power industry, the benefits and cost decline of natural gases, and the promise of renewable energy. The authors also discuss national security, focusing on the issues of nuclear weapons, terrorism and cyber security. Urban resilience is addressed in the context of natural threats such as hurricanes and floods.
- Studies the usage of a globalized benchmark for both student and pedagogical performance
- Covers topics such as surveillance, operational capabilities, movement of resources, and the pros and cons of globalization
- Examines big data, evolving medical methodologies and effects on the medical educational curriculum, and the positive effects of electronic records in healthcare data
Perspectives on Complex Global Challenges: Education, Energy Healthcare, Security, and Resilience serves as a reference for government officials, personnel in security, business executives and system engineers.
Keywords: Large-scale private systems; static standardized results; globalized benchmark for pedagogical performance; nuclear power industry; big data; medical educational curriculum; healthcare data; national security; cyber security; terrorism; surveillance, Engineering Management, Energy & Environmental Impact, Engineering Management, Energy & Environmental Impact
- Pate-Cornell, Elisabeth
- Rouse, William B.
- Vest, Charles M.
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Publication year
- Stevens Institute Series on Complex Systems and Enterprises
- Page amount
- 240 pages
- Technology, Energy, Traffic
- eISBN (ePUB)
- Printed ISBN