Atiemo-Obeng, Victor A.
Advances in Industrial Mixing: A Companion to the Handbook of Industrial Mixing
Includes 5 completely rewritten and updated fundamentals chapters and specialized chapters for 6 new industries – all by leading professionals in the field
While process objectives are critical to the successful manufacturing of a product, if the mixing scale-up fails to produce the required results, the costs of manufacturing can increase significantly. Although there are several industrial operations in which mixing requirements are readily scaled up from established correlations, many operations require a more thorough evaluation. This comprehensive handbook provides practical insights from the leading professionals in the field and presents the latest methods for recognizing these more complex operations.
The Advances Volume is a companion to the Handbook of Industrial Mixing. It reworks areas that have seen significant progress since the first edition and includes:
- Brand new chapters for 6 areas of industrial application: pharmaceutical validation, crystallization, water treatment, commissioning of mixing equipment, and safety
- Additional sections or examples for 5 chapters from the first edition including: magnetic drives, micromixers, vessel head volume calculations, additional information on heat transfer, and application of the Bourne protocol to reactor design
- Concise but critical technical updates for mixing in pipelines, turbulence, and CFD
- 5 completely new fundamentals chapters covering: mean age distrbution, rheology and complex fluids, flow patterns, viscous mixing, solid-liquid mixing
- A full technical definition of mixing
The advances volume will be a welcome addition to the Handbook of Industrial Mixing for the practicing engineer who needs to both identify and solve mixing problems.
This book also provides concise discussions on theoretical background and uses many illustrative examples when covering applications. It includes aDVD with a searchable pdf copy of the first edition, twenty tutorials on mixing, and a collection of video clips and animations of mixing processes, many of which are new for this edition.
Suzanne M. Kresta is a professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering at the University of Alberta.
Arthur W. Etchells III is a retired DuPont Fellow with over forty years consulting in industrial mixing.
David S. Dickey is a consultant specializing in mixing processes and equipment with MixTech, Inc. He has more than forty years experience with mixing processes and equipment.
Victor Atiemo-Obeng is retired from The Dow Chemical Company where he worked as a scientist in the Engineering Science and Market Development department.
The North American Mixing Forum provides an opportunity for dialogue about mixing problems in a wide range of industrial applications.
Keywords: gear mixers, top entry mixers, side entry mixers, bottom entry mixers, on-line mixers, submerged mixers, industrial mixers, processing technology, wastewater treatment mixer, petrochemical mixing, mixer technology, mixing technology, choosing industrial mixer, compare industrial mixers, General & Introductory Chemical Engineering
- Atiemo-Obeng, Victor A.
- Dickey, David S.
- Etchells, Arthur W.
- Kresta, Suzanne M.
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Publication year
- Page amount
- 1032 pages
- General Works
- eISBN (PDF)
- Printed ISBN