Compiles 70 of the key terms most frequently used or discussed by authors of the Romantic period – and most often deliberated by critics and literary historians of the era.
- Offers an indispensable resource for understanding the ideas and differing interpretations that shaped the Romantic period
- Includes keywords spanning Abolition and Allegory, through Madness and Monsters, to Vision and Vampires
- Features in-depth descriptions of each entry’s direct meaning and connotations in relation to its usage and thought in literary culture
- Provides deep insights into the political, social, and cultural climate of one of the most expressive periods of Western literary history
- Draws on the author’s extensive experience of teaching, lecturing, and writing on Romantic literature
Keywords: Romanticism; Romantic era; Romantic period; British Romanticism; English Romanticism; Romantic criticism; Romantic theory; Romantic aesthetic; literary history; Early Romanticism; Later Romanticism; Abolition and Romanticism; Allegory and Romanticism; Madness and Romanticism; Monsters and Romanticism; Vampires and Romanticism, Literary Criticism & History, Early Modern European History, Literary Criticism & History, Early Modern European History