A fully expanded new edition documenting the significant improvements that have been made to the tests and monitors of electrical insulation systems
Electrical Insulation for Rotating Machines: Design, Evaluation, Aging, Testing, and Repair, Second Edition covers all aspects in the design, deterioration, testing, and repair of the electrical insulation used in motors and generators of all ratings greater than fractional horsepower size. It discusses both rotor and stator windings; gives a historical overview of machine insulation design; and describes the materials and manufacturing methods of the rotor and stator winding insulation systems in current use (while covering systems made over fifty years ago). It covers how to select the insulation systems for use in new machines, and explains over thirty different rotor and stator winding failure processes, including the methods to repair, or least slow down, each process. Finally, it reviews the theoretical basis, practical application, and interpretation of forty different tests and monitors that are used to assess winding insulation condition, thereby helping machine users avoid unnecessary machine failures and reduce maintenance costs.
Electrical Insulation for Rotating Machines:
- Documents the large array of machine electrical failure mechanisms, repair methods, and test techniques that are currently available
- Educates owners of machines as well as repair shops on the different failure processes and shows them how to fix or otherwise ameliorate them
- Offers chapters on testing, monitoring, and maintenance strategies that assist in educating machine users and repair shops on the tests needed for specific situations and how to minimize motor and generator maintenance costs
- Captures the state of both the present and past “art” in rotating machine insulation system design and manufacture, which helps designers learn from the knowledge acquired by previous generations
An ideal read for researchers, developers, and manufacturers of electrical insulating materials for machines, Electrical Insulation for Rotating Machines will also benefit designers of motors and generators who must select and apply electrical insulation in machines.
Keywords: winding failure process; machine electrical insulation; generator electrical insulation; variable speed motor insulation; electrical insulating materials; machine insulation design; generator insulation design; winding failure solutions; rotor failure; preventing rotor failure; stator winding failure, Dielectrics & Electric Insulators, Dielectrics & Electric Insulators
- Boulter, Edward A.
- Culbert, Ian
- Dhirani, Hussein
- Stone, Greg C.
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Publication year
- IEEE Press Series on Power Engineering
- Page amount
- 672 pages
- Technology, Energy, Traffic
- eISBN (ePUB)
- Printed ISBN