A History of Roman Art provides a wide-ranging survey ofthe subject from the founding of Rome to the rule of Rome?s firstChristian emperor, Constantine. Incorporating the most up-to-dateinformation available on the topic, this new textbook explores thecreation, use, and meaning of art in the Roman world.
- Extensively illustrated with 375 color photographs and linedrawings
- Broadly defines Roman art to include the various cultures thatcontributed to the Roman system
- Focuses throughout on the overarching themes of Rome?s culturalinclusiveness and art?s important role in promoting Romanvalues
- Discusses a wide range of Roman painting, mosaic, sculpture,and decorative arts, as well as architecture and associatedsculptures within the cultural contexts they were created anddeveloped
- Offers helpful and instructive pedagogical features forstudents, such as timelines; key terms defined in margins; aglossary; sidebars with key lessons and explanatory material onartistic technique, stories, and ancient authors; textboxes on artand literature, art from the provinces, and important scholarlyperspectives; and primary sources in translation
- Upon publication, a book companion website will be availablewith the following resources: PowerPoint slides, glossary, andtimeline
Steven Tuck is the 2014 receipient of the AmericanArchaeological Association's Excellence in Undergarduate TeachingAward.
Keywords: Roman Culture, Roman art, painting, mosaic, sculpture, decorative arts, architecture, Rome, Constantine, Regal Period, Republic, Principate, Roman Empire, Etruscan art, Greek art, Plebian art, Roman dynastic art, early republic, later republic, age of Augustus, Julio-Claudians, the Flavians, Trajan, Hadrian, Antonine Emperors, Severan dynasty, Tetrarchy, Roman values