This comprehensive reference guides the reader through all HVDC technologies, including LCC (Line Commutated Converter), 2-level VSC and VSC HVDC based on modular multilevel converters (MMC) for an in-depth understanding of converters, system level design, operating principles and modeling. Written in a tutorial style, the book also describes the key principles of design, control, protection and operation of DC transmission grids, which will be substantially different from the practice with AC transmission grids.
The first dedicated reference to the latest HVDC technologies and DC grid developments; this is an essential resource for graduate students and researchers as well as engineers and professionals working on the design, modeling and operation of DC grids and HVDC.
• Provides comprehensive coverage of LCC, VSC and (half and full bridge) MMC-based VSC technologies and DC transmission grids.
• Presents phasor and dynamic analytical models for each HVDC technology and DC grids.
• Includes HVDC protection, studies of DC and AC faults, as well as system-level studies of AC-DC interactions and impact on AC grids for each HVDC technology.
• Companion website hosts SIMULINK SimPowerSystems models with examples for all HVDC topologies.
, Power Technology & Power Engineering
- HVDC (High-voltage direct current)
- VSC (Voltage Source Converter)
- DC circuit breaker
- DC grid
- MMC (Modular Multilevel Converter)
- AC grids
- LCC (Line Commutated Converter)
- DC and AC faults
- HVDC super grids
- Transmission lines