A New Companion to Milton builds on the critically-acclaimed original, bringing alive the diverse and controversial world of contemporary Milton studies while reflecting the very latest advances in research in the field.
- Comprises 36 powerful readings of Milton's texts and the contexts in which they were created, each written by a leading scholar
- Retains 28 of the award-winning essays from the first edition, revised and updated to reflect the most recent research
- Contains a new section exploring Milton's global impact, in China, India, Japan, Korea, in Spanish speaking American and the Arab-speaking world
- Includes eight completely new full-length essays, each of which engages closely with Milton's poetic oeuvre, and a new chronology which sets Milton's life and work in the context of his age
- Explores literary production and cultural ideologies, issues of politics, gender and religion, individual Milton texts, and responses to Milton over time
Keywords: John Milton; Paradise Lost; blank verse; Paradise Regained; Milton and the Bible; Miltons English; Jacobean Period; Jacobeans; Puritanism; radical heterodoxy; heresy; Comus; Lycidas; Samson Agonistes; The Romantics; literary neoclassicism; English poetry; English literature; Milton and politics; Milton and gender; Milton and culture; Milton Society of America; Complete Works of John Milton; Lycidas; Areopaqitic; early modern studies; early modern English Literature., 17th Century English Literature, Literary Criticism & History, 17th Century English Literature, Literary Criticism & History